Sunday, February 6, 2011

Family Mission Statement

Jared and I will have been married 4 years in July and we have had some really big ups and downs in that time. I won't go into any more detail than that beause it isn't anyone's business and I would have told you if you needed to know. Also I am happy to say that Jared and I have been happier than we EVER been these days and for about the past year and also happier than probably a lot of married couples. In our short marriage we have really tried and tested each other and worked through the hard parts and come out stronger and more in love. This year we are making a goal to get back to the basics of being married, being a family and making a good life. An idea I stole from an article I read about creating a family mission statement. The article had a great list of ways to brainstorm and find themes in your family which you could build your statement off of. This site has similar questions which you answer and I guess it supposedly generates a mission statement for you at the end.

We just decided to look at a few examples and write down a list of words that defined us and our goals as a family. This was mostly a one-sided effort but Jared did appreciate the concept.


I just wish that JR was older so hecould participate. Jared expressed that he was afraid he couldn't live up to the standards we listed but I told him that the constant, active effort to remember these core values was something you work towards over the course of your life and he didn't have to get it all down in one day now that we have it in writing.
I think what we ended up with was really nice.















As Tsh Oxenreider (the author of the first link I listed) says-

“When we’ve made deliberate decisions about what we’re about as a family, certain choices become a no-brainer. Even fun. You’re at peace with the choices you make, because they align with your priorities, and they just make sense.”

Enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment